Colorado Driving Permit
Colorado Learners Permit Requirements
Colorado Teen Driver's Ed
If you've never been through the process of getting a Colorado driver permit, it may seem to be quite an ordeal. But it's really not as difficult as it seems. Follow these 3 steps below and be sure to download and complete the required forms and you'll have no problems at all.
- You must be at least 15 years of age.
- Colorado residents aged 15 years to 15 years and six months may apply for the Driver Education Permit.
- Colorado residents aged 15 years six months to 16 years may apply for the Driver Awareness Permit.
- You must have completed a 30 hour Colorado Driver's Ed course.
- An original US birth certificate, or a certified copy of the US birth certificate (with embossed state seal)
- Non US citizens must present original, non-expired immigration documents
- Your social security number.
- Proof you have completed a 30 hour Colorado Driver's Ed course
- A completed Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship (Form DR 2460)
- Vision Screening Test
- Written Screening Test
- If you have any questions you may call the Colorado DMV at 303-205-5694
About Your Permit
- Your permit is valid for 3 years
- You must log 50 hours of supervised driving time before you can apply for your driver license.
- The Driver's Education Permit and Driver Awareness Permit only allows the individual who signed the DR2460 and/or the Driver's Ed Instructor to record the required 50 hours on the specified driving log.
- If the individual whose signature is on the DR2460 is not in possession of a valid CO license, they can designate an Alternate Permit Supervisor. This person MUST be 21 years or older, and have a valid Colorado driver's license. The time spent driving with the Alternate Supervisor can be used to fulfill the 50-hour requirement on the log sheet.
- It is permissible for the signer of the DR2460 to let anyone who is at least 21 years old, and has a valid Driver's License, to oversee the minor's behind-the-wheel training. However, that drive time cannot be used to fulfill the required 50 hours.
- You must hold your permit for one year before you can apply for your driver license.